1 1/2 cups flour
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
Pinch of salt
1 Flax egg (1 Tbsp Ground Flax + 3 Tbsp water mixed together and refrigerated)
1/2 cup almond milk
2 tsp apple cider vinegar (or white will do)
1/4 cup applesauce
1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
2 tsp almond extract
1/2 cup sugar
1 1/2 cup cherries, pitted and quartered (I didn't quarter mine but will next time)
1/4 cup ground flax
1 cup chopped almonds
1 recipe streusel topping (recipe below)
- Preheat oven to 400 F and place muffin cups into muffin pan.
- In a small bowl, mix milk and vinegar. It should curdle.
- In a big bowl, stir together flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt.
- In another bowl, stir together Flax egg, milk and vinegar mix, applesauce, extracts, and sugar.
- Combine the two together remembering not to stir to much so it will remain light and airy, just until moistened.
- Fold in cherries, flax, and almonds.
- Sprinkle with streusel topping liberally.
- Pour into muffin pan. I made 12 muffins with this recipe.
- Bake for 20 minutes and put on rack to cool so the bottoms don't get soggy.
- Spread with Earth Balance butter and enjoy!
1/2 cup flour
1/2 cup almond flour
1/2 cup brown sugar
4 Tbsp Earth Balance butter, melted
- Combine flours and sugar. Pour butter over and stir. Will be chunky.