So I am going to call these Sammiches. The reason is because my friend, Sam, pushed me onto them. She actually made hers with cheese and minus the apple, but she is a pescatarian (eats fish), and I am vegan. When I altered mine, she thought it was gross. "Apple on a sandwich? Okay?" However, I liked apple in my tuna salad, so I was certain it would taste great on these. My mother in law loved them, and I actually have eaten them three days in a row, happily, for lunch. I was missing sandwiches, but these have filled that void!
2 slices sourdough bread
Your favorite hummus (I like the roased red pepper kind)
Half an avocado, but only because I can't fit the whole thing on it
Thinly sliced tomatoes
Thinly sliced apples (sweet variety like fuji, gala, or red delicious)
Several leaves of lettuce (butter, red leaf, green leaf, romaine, iceberg, whatev)
Salt and Pepper
- Turn on broil in the oven. Slap down the bread so the outsides are facing up. You only want one side browned. And just brown until it is turning gold, don't toast the whole slice.
- Slather hummus on the soft side of bread like you would mayo. I like a very thick layer.
- Then on one slice lay down the apple, and the tomato on the other slice. This helps them stay in the sammich when you are eating it.
- Layer your lettuce and avocado on top. Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Slap em together, slice em in half, and eat with gusto!