In my family, we are trying to limit our meat intake. To do this, we load up on veggies and a heavy carb to keep us full for the night. On these nights, I try to use up all the vegetables in my fridge. So I came up with this "chili" inspired dinner.
For the chili:
1 or 2 Tbsp Olive Oil
1 large onion, diced
1 green bell pepper diced or jalapeno if you prefer more heat in your chili
3 celery stalks diced
1 large sweet potato peeled and diced
1 can kidney beans, drained
1 can diced tomatoes
2 Tbsp fresh oregano or 1 Tbsp dried.
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp cumin
2 tsp chili powder
1/4 tsp ground red pepper
salt and pepper to taste
- Saute the onion, pepper, and celery till tender.
- Add the sweet potato, kidney beans, and tomatoes plus 1 1/2 cans of water.
- Stir in all the spices. Cover and simmer for 30 minutes.
- Uncover and let simmer another 10 minutes until 1/2 the water is evaporated.
- Garnish with a slice of Confetti Cornbread, cheese, and green onions. Also, sour cream would be great!
1/2 cup all purpose flour
1/2 cup whole wheat flour
1 cup cornmeal
2 Tbsp brown sugar
1 Tbsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp cumin
1/2 tsp ground fennel
1/2 tsp chili powder
1 cup milk
2 large eggs
1/2 stick butter, melted
1/2 cup frozen corn
1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- Preheat oven to 425 F and grease a 9 in cake round.
- Combine the flour, cornmeal, baking powder, sugar, and spices.
- In a separate bowl, combine milk, eggs, and butter.
- Pour liquid into flour mix and stir until moist. Will be a thick lumpy batter.
- Stir in corn and cheese. (Green chiles would be good here too! I just didn't have any on hand)
- Pour batter into 9 in round and put into oven. Bake 20 minutes or until toothpick in the center comes out clean.